- Section 907
Section 907 of the
United States Freedom Support Actbans any kind of direct United States aidto the Azerbaijani government. This ban makes Azerbaijan the only exception to the countries of the former Soviet Union, to receive direct aid from United States government under the "Freedom Support Act" to facilitate economic and political stability. [ [U.S Public Law No: 102-511] ] .
The Act was strongly lobbied for by the
Armenian Americancommunity in the US [ [http://www.anca.org/press_releases/press_releases.php?prid=151 ANCA press relase] ] , and was passed in response to Azerbaijan's blockade of Armenia. which was at full scale war with Azerbaijan over the predominantly Armenian populated Nagorno Karabakhregion of Azerbaijan. Since 1994 cease-fire agreement Nagorno Karabakh has established a de-factoindependent republic, which is not recognized by any country.
October 24 2001, the Senate adopted a waiver of section 907 that would provide the President with ability to waiver the Section 07 [ [http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=107_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ115.107 Public Law 107-115] ] . He has done so since then [ [http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/01/20020128-20.html Waiver in 2002] ] [ [http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030117-10.html Waiver in 2003] ] [ [http://www.state.gov/p/eur/rls/prsrl/2003/27664.htm Waiver in 2004] ] [ [http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/01/20050113-10.html Waiver in 2005] ]
Text of Section 907
Section 907 of the "Freedom Support Act" (Public Law 102-511)
Washington DC, 24 October 1992
Sec. 907. RESTRICTION ON ASSISTANCE TO AZERBAIJAN.
:(A) RESTRICTIONS - United States assistance under this or any other Act (other than assistance under title V of this Act) may not be provided to the Government of Azerbaijan until the President determines, and so reports to the Congress, that the Government of Azerbaijan is taking demonstrable steps to cease all blockades and other offensive uses of force against Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.
:(B) WAIVER- The restriction on assistance in subsection (a) shall not apply if the President determines, and so certifies to Congress, that the application of the restriction would not be in the national interests of the United States.
Text of the Public Law 107-115
(1) Section 907 of the FREEDOM Support Act shall not apply to--:(A) activities to support democracy or assistance under title V of the FREEDOM Support Act and section 1424 of Public Law 104-201 or non-proliferation assistance;:(B) any assistance provided by the Trade and Development Agency under section 661 of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 (22 U.S.C. 2421);:(C) any activity carried out by a member of the United States and Foreign Commercial Service while acting within his or her official capacity;:(D) any insurance, reinsurance, guarantee or other assistance provided by the Overseas Private Investment Corporation under title IV of chapter 2 of part I of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 (22 U.S.C. 2191 et seq.);:(E) any financing provided under the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945; or:(F) humanitarian assistance.
(2) The President may waive section 907 of the FREEDOM Support Act if he determines and certifies to the Committees on Appropriations that to do so--:(A) is necessary to support United States efforts to counter international terrorism; or:(B) is necessary to support the operational readiness of United States Armed Forces or coalition partners to counter international terrorism; or:(C) is important to Azerbaijan's border security; and:(D) will not undermine or hamper ongoing efforts to negotiate a peaceful settlement between Armenia and Azerbaijan or be used for offensive purposes against Armenia.
(3) The authority of paragraph (2) may only be exercised through December 31, 2002.
(4) The President may extend the waiver authority provided in paragraph (2) on an annual basis on or after December 31, 2002 if he determines and certifies to the Committees on Appropriations in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (2).
(5) The Committees on Appropriations shall be consulted prior to the provision of any assistance made available pursuant to paragraph (2).
(6) Within 60 days of any exercise of the authority under paragraph (2) the President shall send a report to the appropriate congressional committees specifying in detail the following--:(A) the nature and quantity of all training and assistance provided to the Government of Azerbaijan pursuant to paragraph (2);:(B) the status of the military balance between Azerbaijan and Armenia and the impact of United States assistance on that balance; and:(C) the status of negotiations for a peaceful settlement between Armenia and Azerbaijan and the impact of United States assistance on those negotiations.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act — Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act, Pub. L. No. 93 112, 87 Stat. 394 (Sept. 26, 1973), codified at usc|29|701 et seq., is American legislation that guarantees certain rights to people with disabilities. Section 504 is widely recognized as … Wikipedia
Route departementale 907 (Allier) — Route départementale 907 (Allier) D 907 Route départementale 907 … Wikipédia en Français
Route départementale 907 (allier) — D 907 Route départementale 907 … Wikipédia en Français
Florida State Road 907 — State Road 907, also known as Alton Road and 63rd Street, is a major north south artery in Miami Beach, Florida, USA. It is one of a relative handful of Florida State Roads that have both termini on the same state route in this case, the northern … Wikipedia
Route départementale 907 (Allier) — Route départementale 907 D 907 Caractéristiques Longueur environ 18 km Direction … Wikipédia en Français
CS — 1. Center Segment Contributor: MSFC 2. Civil Service Contributor: GSFC 3. Communications Subsystem Contributor: GSFC 4. Computer Software Contributor: MSFC 5. Conducted Susceptibility Contributor: MSFC … NASA Acronyms
Nagorno-Karabakh War — Nagorno Karabakh War … Wikipedia
Guerre Du Haut-Karabagh — Informations générales Date 1988–1994 Lieu Haut Karabagh, Arménie et Azerbaïdjan Casus belli … Wikipédia en Français
Guerre du Haut-Karabagh — Informations générales Date 1988–1994 Lieu Haut Karabagh, Arménie et Azerbaïdjan Casus belli Dispute ethnique territoriale entre l Arménie e … Wikipédia en Français
Guerre du Haut-Karabakh — Guerre du Haut Karabagh Guerre du Haut Karabagh Informations générales Date 1988–1994 Lieu Haut Karabagh, Arménie et Azerbaïdjan Casus belli … Wikipédia en Français